Monday, April 21, 2008

The DMZ


This past weekend, Ian and I headed to the DMZ. The tour was led by the USO and we found the experience insightful and eye-opening!





For me, I feel it is easy to forget that we live so close to such a feared border. Just a little ways away, the DMZ lies with its razor blade wire fences and its highly monitored division line. I remember my feeling as we walked into the room where the South Koreans and North Koreans hold their talks. I felt as though I was in a time warp, and I felt a wave of disbelief rush through me. I thought to myself; 'This is real. This is really and truly real. It isn't fabricated or exaggerated.' It was an intense reminder that there is so much animosity between these two countries.





As I walked across the division line and temporarily entered into North Korea, I took a deep breath. On one hand, it was as if I expected myself to feel entirely different, but on the other hand, I knew that was silly. If anything, I just felt a bit more tense! Ian and I, along with our friends, examined the South Korean soldiers who stood stationary in the room. They didn't move a muscle. Their hands were clenched and their shoulders were broad. We were told that they must stand in a certain Taek Won Do position the entire time. This position they have chosen ensures they would be ready in case of any problems, attacks or invasions.





We learned so many things about the division of the Korea's that day. We learned about how the US, among other countries have helped the South Koreans out. We also learned what the South Koreans have offered to the North Koreans as pleasant gestures. It just doesn't seal the deal though. We learned that the South Korean soldiers have been trained to get into all of their gear, load their weapons and get into their vehicles in 6o seconds.





We also went to the 3rd tunnel found by the South Korean government, with the help of supporting countries. We were told that he North Koreans built 16 tunnels with the hopes to invade South Korea, however the North Koreans denied it. The first tunnel was found in the 70's, but the 4th tunnel was just found in the 90's. The 3rd tunnel is the only tunnel available to the public and there were no pictures allowed inside. They have not found any other tunnels, so they assume they have caved in. The tunnel we entered however, was constructed to move 30,000 soldiers through it in 1 hour. It's unbelievable. That tunnel also ended only 52 km from Seoul. Frightening.





I feel that the South Koreans want reunification more then anything. It is extremely difficult to predict whether or not it could happen in the near future. I guess we'll have to wait and see.




Behold, the most feared border in the world. To check out our pictures, go to this Facebook link:



http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2155444&l=cd606&id=187905622

Hope all is well with everyone!
Miss you!





No comments: